3/3/16

Historic Ophir

    The town of Ophir was originally called Blacks before its Biblical name change.. Click here for some history of this quaint place. The Blacks Hotel has recently been purchased and is being refurbished by John and Debbie. He runs the bar and hotel registration and she cooks awesome breakfast and supper for the guests.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. When you check in you get a room key and a key to the back door in case you come in after the bar is closed. How quaint is that! 

If you're in the area, you have to stop by and say 'hello.'




Now backpackers' rooms, these rooms behind the hotel were originally drunk tanks for inebriated guests to sleep it off.

High Street (Main Street), Ophir





There is an honesty box for these home-made souvenirs of the town including home-made soaps and home-made magnets.


This is a shot of the curbing at the edge of Main Street.

9 comments:

Christine said...

A very quaint pretty place to stop for a while! I could certainly indulge on any of the desserts on the menu board!

Noke said...

Schöne Bilder von dem Ort komme aber leider in diesem Jahr in diese Gegend.

Gruß
Noke

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
What a delightful period place! YAM xx

NCSue said...

Interesting series.
I hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-walls-of-san-juan.html

Tom said...

Please consider joining Tuesday's Treasure. I hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Great photos - this looks like a neat place.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a wonderful place; your room looks lovely and I really like the idea of the backdoor key -- you'd feel as if it was really your home away from home. I love it. I think I'd ask to stay one night in the backpackers quarters, because it would be fun to say you slept in the drunk tank during your trip ;>). But only one night, because I'm sure those quarters even today aren't as lovely as the hotel room you showed and I mostly like my amenities when I stay in hotels.

Ruth said...

I am very into discovering this small, hidden towns. Do you now why the name was changed? I had a classmate called Ophir but for some reason I don't associate the name with Biblical accounts.

Marisol@TravelingSolemates said...

Hi Betty, how I wish I read this post few months ago before my husband and I went to NZ. We visited Central Otago and went vineyard hopping. Had I I know about Ophir I would have definitely check it out. It's my kind of town. I love quaint and charming town, and being historic is a plus. Well, next time. We loved NZ and are definitely coming back.